Project manager primary health care
SolidarMed is a leading Swiss NGO, dynamic, flexible and with a clear vision
The project “Health First Lesotho” (HFL) aims at improving access to integrated primary health care services with a focus on maternal and child health, HIV and TB, through clinical mentoring, capacity building, targeted investments and management support. It covers 2 hospitals and 10 health centres in the District of Butha Buthe. The project manager will implement and steer the project together with a local team and contribute to its further development and potential expansion.
The project manager is required to both bring clinical skills for mentoring, supervision and on-the-job training as well as competencies in public health and project cycle management. In addition, s/he will be actively involved in operational research and the sharing of lessons learned with the Ministry of Health and other development partners in the district and at country level.
The project is embedded into the SolidarMed country program. Another major component of this program is the “90-90-90 Project” which focuses on HIV prevention, care and treatment and which collaborates closely with the HFL project.
Place of Assignment
Butha Buthe, Lesotho
The position includes frequent travels to Maseru and other districts
Start of duty
October 2016, with a certain flexibility
100 % (full time)
Fixed term appointment: minimum of three years with the possibility of extension.
- Medical doctor with at least 3 years of working experience
- Degree in public health or equivalent
- Interest and experience in operational research, data management
- Sound working experience in a low income country, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Clinical expertise in the area of Mother and Child Health; expertise in the area TB and HIV would be an asset;
- Applied knowledge in project cycle management
- Intercultural sensitivity, ability to communicate appropriately at different levels, capacity to lead a team
- Valid driving licence
- Preparedness to live in a rural place
- The position is a managerial level position which includes planning, coordination, supervision, reporting and technical exchange, but also includes clinical tasks such as mentoring, training and coaching of health care workers. We are looking for a hands-on person, socially competent, with clinical and public health competence.
- Fluent English (written, spoken). Good report writing skills.
- German language skills would be an asset
- A professionally run health program in an African setting
- An attractive salary and benefit package commensurate with Swiss standards, professional development opportunities and linkages with competence networks ;
- Family posting in a rural African and safe setting
- A motivated team with flat hierarchies
Please send your application by email, with reference “Project Manager PHC Lesotho”, including the following documents:
- Application letter with indication of possible starting date;
- CV with photo;
- 3 references, including contact details.
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We kindly ask not to send in duplicate copies of your resume.