Project Manager for Strengthening Clinical, Maternal and Child Health Services in Rural Tanzania
We are looking for a hands-on person, socially competent, with clinical and public health experience. The assignment comprises a combination of clinical and managerial tasks.
SolidarMed is a Swiss NGO working in 5 countries of East and Southern Africa.
We combine clinical and public health interventions in favour of socio economically disadvantaged rural populations. We focus on capacity building. of human resources, by increasing the involvement of communities in health services at local level and their linkage to the formal health system and by providing funds and expertise for improving service delivery within the existing health systems.
In 2010 SolidarMed in cooperation with Ulanga District Council started the project “Primary Health Care Ulanga” (PHCU), which aims at strengthening the district primary health care system. In the next phase the emphasis will be on improvement of the quality of the supply side (service provision by skilled human resources at different health facility levels of the district, i.e. hospital, health centres, and dispensaries). This Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health project is implemented by a committed team and embedded into the SolidarMed country programme for Tanzania. It also aims at generating and sharing lessons learnt and contributes to policy dialogue at different levels.
Place of Assignment
Mahenge, Ulanga District, Morogoro Region
The position requires regular dislocations to the surrounding health facilities in the district and to Ifakara.(location of SolidarMed country office)
Start of duty
As soon as possible
100 % (full time)
Fixed term appointment of three years with the possibility of extension
Key tasks and responsibilities
The position has two components: project management and technical advice:
- Technical advice to district health staff: Build clinical capacity through on the job training, mentoring and coaching with focus on Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health
- Project management, incl. planning, monitoring, budgeting, reporting and contribution to the further development of the project, based on identified needs and including innovative interventions
We are looking for
- Medical doctor with sound basic knowledge in obstetric surgery (C sections), familiar with public health and at least 3 years of work experience
- Interest in knowledge sharing, scientific exchange, and operational research
- Excellent writing and reporting skills (English)
- Flexibility and preparedness to live in a remote rural place with frequent travel to the health facilities in the district
- Fluent English (written, spoken)
- Basic Kiswahili. If not spoken: readiness to learn.
- German would be an asset
- A professionally run, innovative health program in a rural African setting
- An attractive salary and benefit package commensurate with Swiss standards
- Professional development opportunities and linkages with research networks
- Introduction in language and exchange with experienced SolidarMed doctor in Tanzania
- Family posting in a rural but safe African setting; however no international or English medium school
- A motivated team both in Tanzania and Switzerland
Applications are accepted until 30 December 2016 in electronic format only.
Please also mention how you heard about the job posting (if internet, please mention web site).