Accountable Now is a global platform that supports civil society organisations (CSOs) to be transparent, responsive to stakeholders and focused on delivering impact. Our 25 Member Organisations like Amnesty, BRAC, CARE, Greenpeace, Oxfam, Plan, Restless Development or Transparency International operate in more than 150 countries. Together we develop and implement cutting edge practices to strengthen CSO relationships with communities, partners, activists, staff or donors to deliver better impact. To this end, we devise new concepts, run webinars, workshops and peer advice groups. Annually, we assess reports by all our Members with the internationally-recognised experts of the Independent Review Panel. As our Membership and global collaborations increase we build a vibrant community of practice and a strong voice for civil society in the world.
The Secretariat of Accountable Now is hosted by the International Civil Society Centre in Berlin (Germany) since 2010. The Centre works with international CSOs to help them maximise their impact for a sustainable and more equitable world. Accountable Now is currently looking for a Programme Manager to support the team.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Supporting the Executive Director in running the Accountable Now Secretariat, including coordination of the strategic development, alignment and dissemination of policies, legal procedures and documents and conducting Board meetings
- Managing the annual reporting cycle, including pre-screening of Members’ Accountability Reports and supporting Members’ reporting requests
- Supporting further development of the vetting process, including alignment with the Global Standard for CSO Accountability with partners from Africa, Asia, North and South America, Europe and Australia
- Managing financial procedures together with the Programme Officer, including overseeing the annual budget, cash flow, the audit process and reports to donors
- Supporting the Executive Director in fundraising activities
- Initially overlooking logistics of Accountable Now events and meetings
- Supervising Programme Officer, including throughout communications / website development and website content editing
- Other tasks as necessary
- University degree in a relevant field
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience and knowledge of the civil society sector.
- Solid knowledge in CSO accountability, feedback loops, monitoring and evaluations systems, and fundraising
- Some experience with communications (social media), accounting (i.e. QuickBooks) and website development (i.e. WordPress) is an asset
- Excellent management and coordination skills, ability to work under pressure with focus and to meet tight deadlines
- Independent and proactive attitude, strong sense of ownership for assigned areas of responsibility
- Ability to work creatively within the restrictions of a small budget
- Strong teamwork and leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills, fluent in English; excellent writing and editing skills
- Willingness to travel to meetings (mostly within Europe)
- A 24-months contract (including a 6 months’ probation period), with the possibility for extension
- A thorough insight into the management and governance of the world’s leading CSOs as well as a sound understanding of the challenges they face and ways to improve their accountability and impact
- The possibility to be part of a young, international, dynamic and ambitious organisation with enthusiastic colleagues supporting the world’s largest ICSOs
Working hours: 40 hours/week (100% FTE)
Holidays: 26 days p.a.
Salary: 2.800 to 3.000 EUR per month before tax as a starting salary, depending on experience
Contract period/Starting date: As soon as possible
Your application should:
- consist of a CV and cover letter expressing your motivation, capturing why you are a suitable candidate for this position and how you would shape this position (in English);
- please indicate where you heard about this vacancy;
- enclose two suitable references from previous employment, including contact details;
- Only be submitted through our online application form by 18th January 2017. Please send your application in one PDF-document, stating your name and the job reference AccNow201701 in the document title.
- Applications via email will not be accepted.
Interviews will take place on 23rd and 27th January 2017 in Berlin. Please note that we can only contact short-listed candidates.
We look forward to receiving your application!