Welthungerhilfe (www.welthungerhilfe.de) is one of the large and respected private organisations in the field of development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. It carries out projects in 39 countries and campaigns for fairer cooperation with developing countries. If you are prepared to dedicate yourself to carrying out projects under sometimes difficult conditions and you match the requirements set out below, we look forward to receiving your application for the position of
Expert Social Cohesion (m/f)
The postition is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration until 31 December 2018. Employment location will be Dohuk, Iraq (IQ).
This position monitors and advises the other project components on how to best strengthen the social cohesion within the different targeted communities in Northern Ninewa. Sometimes strengthening means being aware/avoiding negative impact on the communities from WHH’s project activities, which means that all staff of WHH need to be instructed on aspects of humanitarian work such as ‘Do No Harm’ and protection issues.
The expert is expected to lead the process of analyzing different (potential) sources of conflict, ensuring that all targeted communities are involved and participate in the planning, coordination and implementation in the best way possible.
In addition, the expert develops ideas for activities that can strengthen social cohesion, and with his/her team is responsible for the implementation of these activities. Trust building between the different population groups and communities is vital, due to the previous conflict situation and/or post-war situation.
- Monitor the cash for work and rehabilitation components from social cohesion perspective, supervise and assess the project implementation, develop appropriate tools, and advise on contextual social cohesion strategy and approach
- Lead the development of a social cohesion strategy and interventions within an integrated country program strategy
- Develop and contextualize training materials, and deliver trainings on social cohesion and related topics to staff and local partners
- Develop and implement social cohesion activities and projects, integrate into other project components, and ensure appropriate monitoring and evaluation
- Analyze through field and desk research the notion of ‘social cohesion’ in the project area, and develop situational, context, actor and other relevant analyses
- A university/university of applied sciences degree or a comparable specialised qualification suitable to the position
- Several years of relevant working experience
- Regional experience
- A high level of mental and physical resilience and readiness to travel to areas with volatile local conditions
- Excellent coordination and organisational skills, including ability to work under pressure
- Co-operation and team skills
- Experience in social work or humanitarian work in child protection, women's protection and/or protection in the project area
- Kurdish and/or Arabic skills are an asset
We offer you co-operation in a highly dedicated team and a responsible scope of tasks. Furthermore, we facilitate a flexible organisation of working time as well as a healthy work-life balance. The performance oriented remuneration is based on an in-house salary scheme. Of course, a comprehensive training is also part of our offer. Disabled persons will be considered preferentially in the event of equal qualification.