NIRAS is again looking for talented and highly motivated graduates with relevant first working experiences and the passion for pursueing an international career within development consulting for the NIRAS Young Professional Academy.
The NIRAS Young Professional Academy (NYPA) is a fast track on-the-job training and learning programme with a duration of 2 years on winning international development consulting tenders and becoming familiar with all stages of project management. The programme will give you the opportunity to grow professionally and contribute to making an impact in development. You will work with 250 in-house development professionals and reach more than 20,000 experts through our state of the art tools.
We at NIRAS International Consulting are based in offices around Europe, Africa and Asia and deliver services in a broad range of fields including natural resources management, green growth, climate and energy, water, agriculture, forestry, governance, gender and human rights, vocational education and training programmes, land and rural development as well as monitoring and evaluation. Building on our motto - we listen, we learn, we deliver – we continuously expand our position as our clients’ trusted partner in economically, environmentally and socially sustainable development. See more at: http://www.niras.com/dc.
Working with NIRAS as Young Professional to Build Your Career
- Young Professionals (YPs) will receive training on NIRAS’ tendering and project management processes and tools as well as on general methodologies and approaches commonly used in consultancy assignments.
- YPs will throughout the programme develop their skills through practical training on our ongoing assignments – mainly within tendering, but also on project management and consultancy. Hence, the aim is to give as many YPs as possible the opportunity to join short-term field missions for fact finding or backstopping an on-going NIRAS project in a developing or middle income country.
- Through inter-office tasks and deployments, YPs will build a large network among our colleagues in European offices as well as outside Europe.
- YPs will be exposed to NIRAS’ range of technical competence areas, and cooperate with senior experts in these fields.
- Where applicable, the YP will be clustered in his/her respective technical work area.
- Upon successful completion of the programme, qualified YPs will be offered a fulltime position within NIRAS International Consulting (Business Unit of NIRAS).
Where are Young Professionals posted?
YPs will be contracted by and based in NIRAS’ office in Belgrade, Serbia for the time of the NYPA program. During the last year this might change according to the company’s need at the time and instead a contract with another office might be offered. Each YP will be assigned to a “mentoring office” in one of the following countries: Denmark, Finland, Germany, or Sweden. Apart from working in Serbia and at the mentoring office, the programme will provide YPs with the opportunity to work in other NIRAS offices in Europe as well as to undertake a minimum of two assignments to NIRAS offices or projects in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and/or Latin America.
Firstly, Belgrade is at the heart of NIRAS’ expert and tender writing organization. Secondly, there are benefits to keeping a team of young professionals learning and developing together into NIRAS’ future experts, capable of working effortlessly across the organization. Thirdly, the NIRAS office is centrally located in Belgrade. It is spacious, modern and well-equipped. Belgrade is a charming lively town with many cafés and restaurants. It is known for its rich history as well as nightlife. Lastly, working in the busy hub of NIRAS’ Framework Contract Unit and the Tender and Support Unit will provide the YPs with a “fast track” vehicle for learning the basics of consulting work.
What does it take to qualify and enter the Academy?
- Master's degree in a discipline relevant to the competence areas and operations of NIRAS International Consulting (NIC)
- One to three years of relevant experience in the context of development cooperation in one of our competence areas (e.g. from consulting firm, studies, internships in voluntary organizations, NGOs, development agencies, foreign ministries, bilateral or multilateral organizations or other work abroad)
- Excellent spoken and written English is a requirement
- Working knowledge in German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, etc. is an advantage
- An open minded personality, used to or ready to learn to work with different groups and nationalities, always showing respect for all
- A flexible mind-set, especially when it comes to taking up travel with short notice
- In addition, NIRAS values highly motivated individuals with great personalities and a positive attitude
If accepted to the programme, what kind of package can a Candidate expect?
- An employment contract in Serbia with a salary according to Serbian standards and costs of living
- 2 x air tickets to your home country, if not Serbia, per year
- Air tickets for approved travels (mobilisation, demobilisation, and duty travel). Travel must be arranged with NIRAS travel agent.
- Accommodation or allowance and per diem during duty travel
- A travel insurance package for duty travel
Conditions of Service
- YPs enter as trainees and move forward passing various stages. YPs must pass an evaluation at each stage to fully complete the programme. Upon successful completion and subject to job openings at the time, outstanding YPs will be offered a NIRAS permanent staff position as Project Manager and/ or Consultant.
- NIRAS reserves the right to modify the NYPA programme’s schedule and content.
Applications are now being received for the 2017 programme intake. Please apply at:
https://cv.niras.com/jobs/3193. Applications will be treated with strict confidence.
- Please make sure that your CV in English is updated
- Your motivation letter in English should be limited to one page only
- Provide your current contact information
- Check that your e-mail address is spelled correctly
- Enter your complete phone number including country code
- Apply only once. After submitting your application you will not be able to make any updates or modifications.
NOTE: Applicants are kindly asked not to contact the NYPA or NIRAS staff for information on the status of their application.
Selection Schedule for the 2017 Programme
January: Applications are received and reviewed
January 31: Deadline for Application
February: Shortlisted YPs will be invited for interview
March: Selected YPs will be notified
April-May: Selected YPs will be asked to attend pre-training and go through a final qualifying test. Practical preparation including eg work permit process, housing issues, etc.
June 5: Start of programme