Job location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Starting date: As soon as possible
Vacancy closing date: 7th of February 2017
Duration position: 3 years, with possibility of extension
Workhours: Fulltime (40 hours)
ZOA is a Christian international NGO which offers RELIEF to people who are affected by conflict or natural disasters. ZOA wants to contribute to a new perspective of HOPE in which people work together for a promising future in dignity and mutual trust. Together with the affected communities we work on the RECOVERY until they can provide to take care of their livelihoods. The work of ZOA is coordinated from Apeldoorn, the Netherlands. From Apeldoorn operates ZOA in fifteen countries in Africa, Middle East Region and Asia. ZOA works approximately with 900 employees worldwide.
ZOA is looking for a
Country Director Burundi (f/m)
Burundi is one of the poorest countries in the world. About 90% of the population lives in rural areas and depends on agriculture for survival and income. With population growth rate outstripping growth in agricultural productivity, the situation is getting worse. The political problems caused by the President taking a 3rd mandate in the July 2015 elections has had a negative impact on the economy and triggered a climate of intimidation and fear. Currently, the number of refugees that have fled to neighbouring countries stands at around 330.000
ZOA’s Programme in Burundi
ZOA works with subsistence farmers and vulnerable people to improve their livelihoods from farming and income generating activities. In addition, ZOA strengthens local leadership capacity and creates and supports the peaceful resolution of conflicts. ZOA also supports the leadership of 4 districts to establish a land tenure registration service, as conflict-free and secure access to land is a seen as a key requirement for sustainable economic development.
The Country Director is responsible for the programmes and activities of ZOA in Burundi within the framework of ZOA’s Policy- and Business Plan and agreed Country Annual Plan.
Your main tasks and responsibilities
- The Country Director is the legal representative of ZOA in Burundi;
- Overall Leadership and Management of the ZOA organisation in Burundi;
- Formulation and implementation of the Country Annual Plan;
- Programme formulation, development, implementation, and supervision;
- Project Cycle Management, including formulation, budgeting, integration with programme planning, writing, fundraising, monitoring, and reporting;
- Overall responsible for the financial position;
- Human Resource Management for all staff;
- Maintaining relationships with all relevant actors in the country;
- Supervision and control of the administrative and financial organisation;
- Participate in organisation wide programme and knowledge development;
- Security planning & management responsibilities.
- Being a Christian adhering to the Christian identity of ZOA;
- The candidate is expected to fully support the vision and mission of ZOA.
- University graduate;
- At least five years of cross cultural experience;
- At least five years of relevant management experience in an international setting;
- Good spoken and written command of English and good spoken and written French is essential.
- Command of operations and finance;
- Conceptual and writing skills;
- Analytical skills;
- Organisational sensitivity;
- Participative leadership;
- Staff development.
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Interpersonal and cross cultural sensitivity;
- Able to work under pressures and meet deadlines;
- Able to work in a sometimes fluid and insecure environment.
- Frequent field visits/work and travels are required;
- This location is a duty station for families.
ZOA offers a challenging job, within an inspiring and motivated team in the programme country. ZOA provides for good benefits and remuneration which suits the charities sector.
Do you need more information?
For more information about ZOA, please visit our website www.zoa-international.com.
Interested and you want to apply?
ZOA adheres to an equal opportunities policy and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified women and men, people of all nationalities, and cultural backgrounds, and candidates with disabilities are welcome to apply.
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via our website: http://www.zoa-international.com/country-director-burundi
CV’s of no more than 5 pages in length are appreciated.
Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment. A assessment will be part of the recruitment procedure. Documents that do not match the profile above will not be considered.