Position Project Manager
Location Davao, Mindanao (Philippines)
Employer Forum Civil Peace Service (forumZFD)
forumZFD is a training and project management organisation both in Germany and abroad. Along with its members, it advocates for the renunciation of politics based on violence, for the enhancement of civil means both at the state level and in the society and for democratic participation of all social, ethnic and religious groups.
At present, forumZFD is engaged in 14 locations in Germany, the Middle East, the Western Balkans, Ukraine and in South East Asia, involving a staff of about 100 persons. Its head office, based in Cologne, has a staff of more than 30 who shape the project work both in Germany and abroad, the work of the Academy for Conflict Transformation as well as public relations, lobbying and education.
Responsibilities Being reduced to the numerous conflicts, Mindanao’s image is rather negative. Prejudices against the conflicting parties and ignorance or even rejection of their interests and needs are widely spread both within and beyond Mindanao. They lead to a lack of understanding for the steps that are necessary to achieve sustainable peace among a large part of the population. The project, located in Davao, aims at informing the population and important 'key actors for peace' about these interests and needs, about opportunities and risks of peace processes as well as the possibilities of participation in these processes. Its main focus are measures to continuous accompaniment of the current peace processes (Bangsamoro, NDF), such as by spreading information and conducting events on topics that are not given sufficient attention in the peace process. Another issue is to handle local conflicts for natural resources and their structural causes.
In your position as project manager, you will be responsible for controlling the activities in and around Davao regarding content, personnel, finance and administration: The objective is the effective contribution to the civil conflict resolution and promotion of peace by targeted media, information and PR work together with the colleagues located at the other project locations in Cotabato, Butuan and Manila as well as with local partners. Furthermore, you will assist the programme manager and the teams at the other locations when using methods and processes as part of PM&E.
In detail, your tasks and duties will include:
· In cooperation with local actors, i. a. academic facilities on Mindanao and possibly in Manila: Planning the concepts for and organising activities and projects (such as (a series of) dialogue events and forums in various, possibly innovative formats)
· Further developing the training in the area of conflict-sensitive journalism
· Maintaining and expanding a network consisting of civil society organisations and governmental institutions, also be means of social media
· Responsibility of impact-oriented project management
· Reworking the experience at the project locations of forumZFD in order to facilitate internal and external reflexion and learning processes as well as PR work and entering them in various formats (such as social media, internal papers, non-academic publications)
· Supporting the colleagues of the programme in impact-oriented project management in close coordination with the consultant PM&E in Cologne
· Completed vocational qualifications and/or university degree (such as communications studies, social studies, political studies and cultural anthropology)
· Qualifications as a peace expert or similar expertise in methods of non-violent/civil-conflict resolution, experience in conceptualizing and implementing communications and dialogue processes, and preferably in journalistic work
· Hands-on experience in several of the following topics: Networking, civil society guidance of peace processes, resources conflicts, gender, mediation, training, working with the media and transitional justice
· Hands-on experience in impact-oriented project management (know-how in applying the "Reflecting on Peace Practice" approach (RPP) or "Outcome Mapping" is an advantage)
· Independence and taking initiative along with a strong ability to work in a team in an instructing position
· Social skills, flexibility, and intercultural sensitivity
· Strong ability to work under physical and psychological pressure
· Several years of work experience in developing cooperation or peace work abroad (preferably in the Philippines or in a another Southeast Asian country)
· Excellent written and spoken command of English (project language), willingness to learn a new language
· High competency in using IT applications
· EU citizenship or Swiss citizenship
· A prerequisite is the willingness to conduct business trips, partially through areas where safety requirements have to be adhered to due to the dangerous situation
We offer We offer you a position in a committed and growing organisation. The salary is based on the German Act on Development Aid Workers (EhfG) including comprehensive social security and financial reintegration allowance upon return. We also offer you to participate in qualification and further education courses, i. a. at the Academy for Conflict Transformation at forumZFD, as well as project-related preparation, work-based coaching and, if necessary, a language course.
In your position as Project Manager for the project location Davao, you will contribute with your ideas and skills in a team-oriented work environment of a committed non-governmental organisation. You will closely cooperate with native experts and will be assisted by the programme manager in Davao and the colleagues of forumZFD in Germany in the planning and implementation of the project.
Starting date Your assignment will start, if possible, 1 April 2017 (preparation period followed by a minimum of two years in the project with the option of an extension).
Your applicationPlease send your application with pertinent documents in German or English (motivation letter, CV and references, preferably as a PDF document) by 12 February 2017 to
We are looking forward to receiving your application!