Tactical Tech is an international NGO, with an office in Berlin, which works with an international network of partners to assist rights, accountability and transparency advocates and activists to use information and digital technologies effectively in their work.
We are an international, dynamic team and this new role is crucial to support the efficiency of the organisation's operations function as well as day to day work in the office.
Level: Coordinator level (mid)
Location: Berlin (payroll, full-time)
- Core responsibilities: Working closely with the Politics of Data team, the editor will write engaging public-facing texts and copy-edit for the Politics of Data and Digital Security programmes of Tactical Tech, including websites and printed materials.
- Tactical Tech is looking for an experienced individual to come aboard as a tech editor and writer for its Politics of Data programme in Berlin.
- We are looking to hire someone, who has experience in editing and writing highly engaging texts about technology for a general, non-tech, international audience (for some general examples of style, see the Me and My Shadow project website https://myshadow.org, the accompanying training curriculum https://myshadow.org/train and the data detox kit https://myshadow.org/detox).
- We are looking for someone is very comfortable in writing for different formats, and can also copy edit other people's work. Ideally, you are someone with a sound understanding of technology in relation to the internet, our everyday devices, social media and digital security and privacy.
- Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Politics of Data team (including coordinators, researchers, writer/editors, and tech experts) to copy-edit and write public-facing texts for the Politics of Data programme, including websites and printed materials.
- Work across teams to translate research and investigation findings into products that meet high standards and that are accessible for a non-expert audience.
- Produce copy on time and of high quality.
- Provide input to grant reports, proposals, website and board reports as appropriate.
Contribute to collecting project related data to monitor grant indicators and share grant lessons learned within team.
Take an active role in increasing their own skills and contributing to the team's skill development.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties, which may be required.
Key competencies and experience
Native or native-level written English, additional languages a plus.
Proven ability to write in an engaging manner for a general audience (including second-language speakers) in a number of formats, ideally in a technical context.
Proven copy-editing experience.
Meticulous attention to detail.
Understanding of the perspectives of non-technical users, particularly in relation to privacy and security.
Good interpersonal and problem solving skills, with a hands-on and can-do approach.
Ability to produce results under pressure and within tight deadlines.
Comfortable with creative and iterative processes and working in a dynamic and fast moving environment.
Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech's mission and values, including an understanding of the geopolitical contexts in which Tactical Tech's work is carried out.
An appreciation of the diverse socio-cultural, political and historical experiences of the interdependent, global world we live in.
Exposure to the politics of information technologies for advocacy and human rights.
Experience in writing about digital security.
Comfortable using Git and markdown.
Experience developing educational material for adults.
Previous exposure to privacy, digital security and human rights contexts.
Experience working within an NGO environment.
Experience of having studied or worked outside of Europe, North America and Australasia.
This is a mid level position. Graduates with at least three years experience are encouraged to apply. The salary is based upon our internal salary scales for coordinators and is competitive for a Berlin-based non-profit. This is a one-year position, with a three month probation period. We hope to extend this position, depending on available funds and performance. We are looking for people who have the right to live and work in Europe, however for exceptional candidates we will support efforts to get a working visa.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to respond to individual phone and email inquiries.