The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is looking for an experienced Project Manager in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Capacity Building for projects funded by several back donors and GRC in the Philippines.
Duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension, starting date as soon as possible
Location: Manila, Philippines with regular travel to project locations in the Philippines
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Delegate is working under the leadership of the GRC Head of Office (HoO) in Manila and in close cooperation with the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) covering the key tasks and responsibilities set out below:
- Management of existing DRR and Capacity Building projects in close cooperation with the PRC as national counterpart and implementing partner on the basis of the individual agreed project documents, the agreed project budgets and plans of actions
- Meet GRC´s requirements related to the above mentioned partnership projects, i.e. to assure adequate preparatory assessments, planning, implementation and monitoring as required (project cycle management) and timely reporting to GRC HQ and its back-donors
- Carry out budget oversight and manage and plan the financial expenditures of the projects according to the agreed budget between GRC and the donors; ensure that all financial resources are used cost-effectively and in a transparent way, and that donor requirements are fulfilled
- Coordinate activities and approaches with other Red Cross Societies working in the above mentioned sectors
- Liaise and maintain a close working relationship with different government departments, scientific institutions, NGOs and civil society on behalf of GRC when appropriate to ensure a smooth linkage between GRC and other organisations on DRR related matters
Apart from the management the existing projects the Delegate will upon request also cover the following tasks:
- Enhance the existing DRR and Capacity Building approach of GRC in the Philippines and extend the current activities in this sector including identification and formulation of new projects together with the GRC HoO
- Support the process of enhancing the regional cooperation and activities/projects in DRR/CCA together with other GRC country delegations in SEA
- In case of disasters take on project management responsibilities for short-term relief activities if required
- Strong project management skills, particularly PCM and participatory methods with a minimum of five years experience in the humanitarian sector
- Experience in implementing and managing donor funded projects (BMZ, ECHO)
- Good understanding of key DRR and CCA issues as well as the linkages to relief and development programmes and experience in implementing projects in these sectors
- Experience in capacity building and working with local organisations and government agencies, ideally within the RC/RC movement
- Minimum 5 years of experience working abroad
- Strong reporting skills
- Knowledge of Red Cross / Red Crescent principles and willingness to adhere to them
- Skills in negotiation and persuasion, advocacy and for mainstreaming new concepts and approaches
- Assertive, with high intercultural sensitivity
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Very good written and oral English; knowledge of German would be an asset
- Excellent computer skills (Windows 7, spreadsheets, word-processing, databases, SPSS and other programmes)
- Valid Driver’s License
GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. Depending on the post specific situation we either provide you with a personal allowance to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance) GRC is as well covering a home flight withing a 12-month period of assignment and medical check-ups before and after your mission. Before your assignment you will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings prior as well as during and after your mission.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HRnet until 03.05.2017.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2017-068 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage