HR & Administration Coordinator
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects worldwide.
Closing Date Application
May 7, 2017
Estimated Date of Interviews
May 11/12, 2017
Johanniter has been active in DRC since 1995, with a focus on North Kivu since 2008.
The overall objective of Johanniter International Assistance’s Program in North Kivu, DRC, is to reduce mortality and morbidity by improving the health conditions and reducing vulnerability of IDPs and host population. Johanniter’s interventions aim to improve, in close cooperation with the MoH, the provision of and access to quality primary health care and to support the improved nutrition status of children under five, pregnant and lactating women and other vulnerable people (such as elderly people, people with disability, people living with HIV/AIDS, and survivors of SGBV). Furthermore, the improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene is part of Johanniter’s DRC programme.
Currently there are 5 international and 38 national employees working for Johanniter in DRC. Whilst internal regulations and a salary system for national staff is in place, this needs profound revision and update, including an external benchmark. Revision of job descriptions and organizational structure to meet the operational needs now and in future are to be executed within this frame. Furthermore there is a need to further other HR-policies (such as in the field of recruitment, learning and development, performance management). All those changes are summarized in a comprehensive HR-reform.
The current Fin-HR-Admin Coordinator usually is responsible for the management of HR and Administration. However, since besides the HR-reform there are other projects ongoing in finances which require significant attention. Therefore it was decided to split the function of HR-Admin and Finance Coordination into two functions initially for a period of six months in order to allow the HR-Admin-Coordinator to fully concentrate on the HR-reform. Both functions will work very closely with each other.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall Job purpose:
Coordination of all HR and Administration processes of Johanniter mission in DRC in close collaboration with the Country Director. Manage and implement the HR-reform.
Country Director DRC (direct supervisor)
Regional Head of Desk, Berlin headquarters (second line supervisor)
Receives technical advice from:
Head of Desk HR, Berlin headquarters
HR/Admin Assistant and Support Staff (National Staff)
Standing in for:
- Manage and implement the HR-reform (as described above)
- Coordinate the planning, recruitment, selection, briefing/debriefing and well-being of all national staff including related administrative processes
- Draft contractual HR engagements after consultation with a local solicitor and the Country Director
- Ensure that all staff have valid job descriptions
- Ensure timely and correct payment of national staff according to national labour law and Johanniter guidelines, including timely payment of Staff Social Security, income tax or other taxes as required by labour law.
- Ensure implementation and maintenance of a transparent and fair compensation package for national staff
- Maintain systematic HR databases and filing systems (incl. staff lists, leave register etc).
- Trace execution of performance appraisals of all national staff
- Set-up up and implement a systematic system for learning and development for national staff
- Coordination of disciplinary procedures ensuring legal compliance and clear documentation
- Supervise and train the team of Assistants and support staff (periodic staff appraisals, regular meetings, capacity building etc)
- Provide HR guidance and consultative support to the Country Director and Project Managers.
- Ensure compliance with and follow-up changes of rules and regulations in national law for the employment of national staff and up-date Johanniter National Staff Guideline in line with DRC and Johanniter regulations and CHS recommendations
- Follow-up on visa and work-permits for expats
- Coordinate planning of annual leave and R&R of expats and national staff
- Ensure necessary employee representatives and committees exist and collaborate with them
- Ensure that the organization's legal status is secured and the national laws are followed by the organization
- Draft and follow-up any contractual engagement (rental, vehicles, MoUs, Registration, etc.) in consultation with the CD
- Set-up and maintain a systematic hard and soft copy filling system for all administrative matters
- Collaborate with relevant partners and authorities
- Assist the CD in security management
- Represent Johanniter in relevant forums and networks
- Regularly coordinate all above mentioned aspects with the CD and Desk Officer in Berlin
- Assist the country office team in translating guidelines and templates into French
- Support CD in all other tasks
University Degree in HR Management/ Business Administration or equivalent degree and relevant work experience in a similar position
- At least 3 years of experience in HR as generalist in the field of humanitarian aid / development cooperation
- Experience in managing HR-projects (esp. compensation & benefits)
- Experience in development and implementation of HR-policies
- Experience in capacity building
- At least 1 year working experience in DRC (esp. knowledge on legal and taxation regulations)
- Excellent interpersonal communication and networking skills
- Fluency in English and French with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to manage complex HR-projects alongside ongoing HR-activities
- Profound IT-literacy (HR-systems, MS-office package)
- Cultural sensitivity and team competence
- Sense of delegation and commitment to local capacity building
Terms and Conditions
definite contract for 6 months (with possible extension)
Between 39.063 € and 41.119 € annual gross salary (according to Johanniter AVR-J internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
- maximum one month salary as annual special payment (depending on length of service within the year)
- Social security provisions (lump sum 375 € per month) (for expats not falling under German social security)
- International insurance package
- 29 days annual paid leave for annual contracts (proportionally for 6 months contract)
- Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 56 € per day)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Contact and application
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.