As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries
For an assignment in Hanoi / Viet Nam we are looking for a
Development Worker as coordinator in communication and civil society for VUSTA and GIZ Vietnam
Field of activity
The Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations (VUSTA) was established in 1983 as an umbrella organization for non-state science and technology associations in various areas of practice in Viet Nam.
Since its establishment, VUSTA had the functions of gathering and uniting Vietnamese intellectuals, both domestically and overseas; coordinating its member organizations’ operation to make contribution to the country’s socio-economic development and the process of industrialization and modernization of the country; promoting and disseminating the scientific and technological knowledge to the people, conducting the scientific researches and applications, promotion of environmental protection initiatives, and other development fields such as the socialization of science and technology, education and training, poverty reduction and health care.
VUSTA involves also in several actors, networks working in environment and climate change adaption, especially, since late 2014, VUSTA has coordinated its members to build up the annual report on climate change, providing more contents and information about this issue in various perspectives, besides the state annual report issued by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE). Climate change is also one of three key priorities of GIZ’s program in Vietnam.
The development worker will help VUSTA to:
- Set up VUSTA’s Climate Network of members and affiliated organizations;
- Develop of an institutional capacity building program and deliver the training for the network member organizations;
- Supporting initiatives of the network to formulate concrete projects and plans dealing with climate change, especially in maritime environment protection and livelihood improvement for farmers in the climate-vulnerable coastal provinces;
- Supporting cooperation between VUSTA’s Network with related agencies to help implement its projects and communicating its policy recommendations;
- Improving the coordination role of VUSTA Headquarters (HQ) via in-house training for VUSTA HQ’s staff members.
Part of the position is dedicated to the integration of the cross-cutting topic Civil Society (CS) into the portfolio of GIZ Vietnam.
- Building a profile database of VUSTA’s member and affiliated organizations working in issues related to climate change adaptation and mitigation with the possible extension of the database in the next phase by VUSTA; reference could be made to the SDGs indicators and targets to design the profile database;
- Supporting VUSTA to communicate the results of its work on development in general and on climate change adaptation and mitigation in particular to the public and international community via the English website of VUSTA and other social media;
- Supporting the connection of VUSTA’s climate network to GIZ Vietnam’s current projects/programs, potential counterparts in Germany and Europe and other international network, seminar and forum to enhance technical capacity and networking of VUSTA network;
- Jointly deliver in-house training for VUSTA HQ’s staff members to improve their coordination and communication capacity.
Provision of advisory services on Cooperation with Civil Society: Facilitate sector specific strategies on Cooperation with Civil Society within GIZ Vietnam (in cooperation with program staff and focal points), elaborate methods and approaches of Cooperation with Civil Society as a quality issue in every relevant GIZ Vietnam process relating to commission management , respond to program specific needs on the topic
Knowledge management and networking: elaborate a strategy on internal knowledge management on the cross-cutting topic (CSO actors, political key actor, political processes in Vietnam, networks, available funds, stakeholder needs etc.), initiate internal networking on Cooperation with Civil Society (e.g. brown bag lunches, working groups, etc.), participate at external events concerning civil society issues in Vietnam (e.g. CSO donor group), communicate GIZ Vietnam’s work on the cross-cutting topic to external audiences, provide further strategic orientation for the integration of Civil society cooperation into the GIZ Vietnamportfoli.
You offer the following qualifications
- Master degree (PhD is an asset) in one of the following fields: communication, networking, public relations and international development;
- Having strong network with scientific communities in Germany and/or Europe;
- Good skill in searching information, doing researches, writing papers and news;
- Having work experience or research topic related to Vietnam’s social organizations is an asset;
- Work experience in or with civil society sector;
- Experienced in building and maintaining national and international networks, including the mobilization of resources, lobbying and public relations;
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal (English and German);
- Experience in knowledge management.
You offer the following competencies
- Distinct in intercultural competence;
- Skills in Knowledge management, public work and communication;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Willingness to travel.
As soon as possible (24 months plus preperation)
Conditions regarding location
- Place of residence: Hanoi
- Climate: Hanoi features a warm humid subtropical climate with plentiful precipitation.The city experiences the typical climate of northern Vietnam, with 4 distinct seasons. The average annual temperature is 23.6 °C (74 °F) with a mean relative humidity of 79%.The highest recorded temperature was 42.8 °C (109 °F) on May 1926 while the lowest recorded temperature was 2.7 °C (37 °F) on January 1955
- Healthcare: international standard
- Supply and shopping facilities: very good, international products are available
- Accessibility: Noi Bai is an international airport with a lot of flights connections per day. Direct flight to Frankfurt
- Children / infants: limited playgrounds in the center of the city in comparison to Germany, more in play centers or parks
- School situation and school fees: International Schools and Kindergartens with international standard
- Security: good, low grade of criminality, no terror but relative high risk potential of street accident
- Pets: limited space for playing around in the city
We offer you the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. Your contract period is at least 24 months with the option of extension.
Information on the service package
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. If you should not be able to post an application via the system, you are welcome to contact the person indicated at the end of the job description.
Please check after your application regularly the spam and junk mail folder of your mail account, since the e-mails of the recruiting system are categorized as spam by some providers.
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 31.05.2017.