As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
For an assignment in Hanoi/Vietnam we are looking for a
Development Worker as organization development advisor for VUSTA and its members
Capacity Building/Civil Society
Field of activity
The Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations (VUSTA) was established in 1983 as an umbrella organization for non-state science and technology associations in various areas of practice in Viet Nam.
Since its establishment, VUSTA had the functions of gathering and uniting Vietnamese intellectuals, both domestically and overseas; coordinating its member organizations’ operation to make contribution to the country’s socio-economic development and the process of industrialization and modernization of the country; promoting and disseminating the scientific and technological knowledge to the people, conducting the scientific researches and applications, promotion of environmental protection initiatives, and other development fields such as the socialization of science and technology, education and training, poverty reduction and health care.
VUSTA involves also in several actors, networks working in environment and climate change adaption, especially, since late 2014, VUSTA has coordinated its members to build up the annual report on climate change, providing more contents and information about this issue in various perspectives, besides the state annual report issued by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE). Climate change is also one of three key priorities of GIZ’s program in Vietnam.
The development worker will help VUSTA to:
- Set up VUSTA’s Climate Network of members and affiliated organizations;
- Developing an institutional capacity building program and deliver the training for the network member organizations;
- Supporting initiatives of the network to formulate concrete projects and plans dealing with climate; change, especially in maritime environment protection and livelihood improvement for farmers in the climate-vulnerable coastal provinces;
- Supporting cooperation between VUSTA’s Network with related agencies to help implement its projects and communicating its policy recommendations;
- Improving the coordination role of VUSTA Headquarters (HQ) via in-house training for VUSTA HQ’s staff members.
- Conduct capacity building need assessment of key VUSTA’s Network member organisations with focus on Governance; Organizational Management; Program Management; Human Resource Management;
- Development and delivery of a training program that meet the needs of the participating member organizations of VUSTA;
- Assessment and reflection of the trainings impacts on the capacity of participating organizations;
- Deliver in-house training for VUSTA HQ’s staff members to improve their coordination and communication capacity.
You offer the following qualifications
- Master holder in one of the following fields: organizational development and capacity building, international development or similar fields;
- Having work experience as a trainer in areas of institutional and skill-based capacity development;
- Fluent in English (with strong focus on writing skills), good communication, inter-personal skill;
- Being a member of professional network(s) in Germany is an asset;
- Having experience/ understanding about Vietnam’s social organizations is an asset.
You offer the following competencies
- Distinct in intercultural competence;
- Skills in Knowledge management, public work and communication;
- Experienced in project planning, monitoring and evaluation;
- Willingness to travel.
As soon as possible (24 months plus preparation)
Conditions regarding location
- Place of residence: Hanoi
- Climate: Hanoi features a warm humid subtropical climate with plentiful precipitation.The city experiences the typical climate of northern Vietnam, with 4 distinct seasons. The average annual temperature is 23.6 °C (74 °F) with a mean relative humidity of 79%.The highest recorded temperature was 42.8 °C (109 °F) on May 1926 while the lowest recorded temperature was 2.7 °C (37 °F) on January 1955.
- Healthcare: international standard
- Supply and shopping facilities: very good, international products are available
- Accessibility: Noi Bai is an international airport with a lot of flights connections per day. Direct flight to Frankfurt
- Children / infants: limited playgrounds in the center of the city in comparison to Germany, more in play centers or parks
- School situation and school fees: international Schools and Kindergartens with international standard
- Security: good, low grade of criminality, no terror but relative high risk potential of street accident
- Pets: limited space for playing around in the city
We offer you the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. Your contract period is at least 24 months with the option of extension.
Information on the service package
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. If you should not be able to post an application via the system, you are welcome to contact the person indicated at the end of the job description.
Please check after your application regularly the spam and junk mail folder of your mail account, since the e-mails of the recruiting system are categorized as spam by some providers.
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 31.05.2017.