The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Programme Coordinator Refugees who is responsible for all projects related to relief to and integration of refugees in the host communities. In cooperation with the Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS), GRC is currently implementing several projects supporting South Sudanese refugees settled in North Uganda, and their host communities. Given the significant impact of the huge numbers of South Sudanese and other refugees who have been fleeing to Uganda since 2016, not only on the National Red Cross Society but also on the entire country, URCS and GRC are currently planning a new project (socio-structural policy measures, funded by the German Government) to be started in September 2017. The project will focus on supporting local and national structures to enhance the country’s and URCS’ capacities in hosting and integrating refugees.
Starting/Duration: As soon as possible for 12 months
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Lead the direct implementation of the planned projects to achieve the desirable results
- Coordination of the various GRC-URCS projects in the sector in order to streamline the focus, develop an approach and a strategy on the topic of refugees’ relief and integration work
- Provide technical support to URCS staff in the field of refugees’ relief and integration work
- Strengthen URCS’ capacities and advocacy role in the response to the refugee crisis and in the refugees’ integration
- Ensure regular monitoring of project implementation including the collection and analysis of data for indicator based reporting and project monitoring/control
- Ensure accurate project budgeting, financial management and expenditure tracking according to GRC and donor (Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, BMZ) requirements
- Ensure quality and timely narrative and financial reporting in compliance with GRC and donor (BMZ) policies and regulations
- Ensure visibility according to German Government requirements/ standards and information sharing on the project
- Supervise ongoing GRC/ URCS interventions focusing on support to the South Sudanese refugee population in North Uganda and hosting communities
- Contribute to strengthen team spirit and a conducive workplace environment
- Actively engage in fundraising and preparation of concept notes and proposals
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience in implementation and coordination of refugee operations and programs
- Strong project management skills, particularly PCM and participatory methods
- Experience in managing donor funded projects (BMZ experience will be a strong asset)
- Strong skills in networking, negotiation and advocacy
- Proven capacity in operational and structural planning of relief operations, as well as mainstreaming new concepts and approaches
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to build relationships at all levels, taking into account cultural and language differences
- Experience in cooperating with local organizations/ capacity building
- Ability to train and guide local staff and community volunteers, and provide technical support
- Oral and written fluency in English; knowledge of German would be an asset
- Excellent computer skills (spreadsheets, word-processing, databases and other programs)
- Readiness to travel to and work in remote areas
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Valid Driving Licence
GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. Depending on the post specific situation we either provide you with an accommodation or a personal allowance to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance) GRC is as well covering a home flight withing a 12-months period of assignment and medical check-ups before and after your mission. Before your assignment you will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings prior as well as during and after your mission.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HRnet until May 28th 2017.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2017- 076 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our hompage.