GFA Consulting Group is one of the leading German consulting companies within the framework of international development cooperation. Our core business is providing consulting services as well as managing projects financed through bilateral and multilateral funds. Since 1982, GFA has been active in more than 130 countries and has continuously expanded the scope of its work which currently includes eleven strategic business areas.
Within the strategic business area of Rural Development and Natural Resources Management (ARD/NRM), we concentrate on consultancy services related to biodiversity conservation management, rural development, watershed management and sustainable forest management, climate change adaptation and mitigation including REDD+, integrated water resources management, as well as environmental governance and services.
For our head office in Hamburg/Germany, we are looking for an open-minded and versatile Consultant (m/f) to strengthen our Nature Resources Management Team in the Latin America Department.
The consultant will be responsible for project management, acquisition and strategic business development in the technical field of Rural Development and Watershed Management. The duty station will be Hamburg with frequent travel to the specific working region.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Business development in the field of rural development and natural resource management, with a strong focus on integrated watershed management and/or forest management and REDD+ in the context of Climate Change Adaptation
- Leading the acquisition process of new projects, including elaboration and coordination of technical and financial proposals;
- Fully responsible for the management of projects and studies (financial and technical backstopping, monitoring and evaluation of projects and studies) on site and Hamburg-based
- Conducting technical short-term consultancy missions, including participation in feasibility and project preparatory studies;
- Establishing and maintaining regular professional contacts as well as networking with donor agencies, beneficiaries, partner companies or institutions, subcontractors and sector experts;
- Writing of reports, concepts and presentations as well as contributing to knowledge and quality management, including GFA publications;
- Representation of GFA in conferences and seminars;
- Supporting on-the-job-training of our Young-Professionals.
Qualifications and requirements
- University Degree (MSc., Eng., or PhD) in Rural Development, Environmental Sciences / Ecology / Forestry /Economics or related topics;
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience in the context of development cooperation and project management preferably related to rural development / watershed management in the Latin America region, ideally in Brazil
- At least 3 years project experience abroad with one long-term assignment related to rural development (communal forestry) / watershed management, climate change adaptation and /or biodiversity conservation in Latin America, working experience in Brazil is preferable;.
- Familiarity with concepts and policies of international initiatives in the field of rural development, watershed management, environment, agriculture conservation, environmental governance, financing instruments and rural economics;
- Well-founded understanding of the strategies and programmes of relevant donor agencies is needed as well as knowledge of and experience in the use of methods and functional approaches of GIZ (e.g. Capacity WORKS), KfW and the European development sector
- Familiarity with project planning and evaluation methods;
- Full proficiency in written and spoken English, German and Portuguese, knowledge of Spanish is an asset;
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills and advanced proficiency in standard MS Office applications
- Willingness to travel abroad;
- Ability to manage complex situations with a sense of pragmatism.
GFA offers a future-oriented work place in a multicultural team with a strong orientation on values and the joint aim to provide the best solutions for our clients and partners in the developing world.
Interested candidates should send their complete application (cover letter, CV, work references / certificates by email) to:
Ms. Heike Mainusch
GFA Consulting Group GmbH
Application Deadline: 28. Mai 2017