Welthungerhilfe (www.welthungerhilfe.de) is one of the large and respected private organisations in the field of development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. It carries out projects in 39 countries and campaigns for fairer cooperation with developing countries. If you are prepared to dedicate yourself to carrying out projects under sometimes difficult conditions and you match the requirements set out below, we look forward to receiving your application for the position of
Expert Technical & Social Issues (Focus: Business Advisor Renewable Energy) (m/f)
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration until May 31, 2018. There are good prospects for an extension. The place of work will be Kenema, Sierra Leone (SL).
The aim of the job is to advise energy related businesses and entrepreneurs of the project clientele to plan, administrate and operate their solar-pv systems to assure proper administration and sustainability.
In relation with PV mini-grid systems:
- Providing advisory services on strategic planning, business administration and business operations to large solar-pv systems operators (mini-grid operators)
- Supervising of mini-grid operations, finances and administration at local and central level
- Leading mini-grid systems control unit in collaboration with the MoE, the PPP unit, the communities and the operator
- Support developing property and O&M structure of 2 mini-grids
In relation with pico-pv products:
- Supervising pico-pv lights sales and marketing
- Contributing with innovative sale strategies to foster pico-light retailers’ sales
- Developing strategic partnerships with pico-lights wholesalers to upscale activities
- Providing advisory services to pico-light wholesalers and distributors to develop viable business models
- Drafting innovative access to finance mechanisms for wholesalers and retailers.
In relation with stand alone systems (hospitals, clinics, banks, agricultural business centres, etc.):
- Developing business plans including revenue models
- Ensuring proper management structures are in place
- Coaching and following up on solar-pv stand-alone systems management structures
- Relevant university or polytechnic degree in the field of economics, business administration, engineering with economic background or relevant other qualification
- Professional experience and background on business administration and business operations is an asset
- Previous experience working on business development for ‘Base Of Pyramid’ products companies
- Experience working with distribution chains and marketing
- Ideally experienced on mini-grids operations and management or other renewable energy related fields
- Coordination and organisational skills, even under difficult local conditions
- A high level of mental and physical resilience and readiness to travel to remote areas with volatile local conditions
- Very good spoken and written command of English; German is an asset
- Experience in development cooperation and specifically in the African context
We offer you co-operation in a highly dedicated team and a responsible scope of tasks. Furthermore, we facilitate a flexible organisation of working time as well as a healthy work-life balance. The performance oriented remuneration is based on an in-house salary scheme. Of course, a comprehensive training is also part of our offer.