As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries
For an assignment as a development worker we are looking for the location Solwezi in Zambia for a
Development worker as technical advisor for urban planning and revenue enhancement in Solwezi local government
Field of activity
Within the framework of the Zambian-German decentralization programme, GIZ supports the Ministry of Local Government (MLG) as well as a number of local authorities in improving their performance in terms of delivery of basic services to citizens and political participation. Some of the key areas in which support is provided are improving local government finance including revenue enhancement, improving service delivery by local authorities and improving strategic planning. The collection of socio-economic and mapping data serves as a basis for evidence based spatial planning at council level.
As an Advisor, you will be based in Solwezi, work with Solwezi Municipal Council as well as other councils in the region and build upon the work already completed by advising and supporting Solwezi Municipal Council on the preparation and implementation of an Integrated Development Plan and a fiscal cadastre in order to enhance local revenue.
- Assist Solwezi Municipal Council (and eventually other councils in the region) in preparing an Integrated Development Plan in line with the Urban and Regional Planning Act of 2015. This will include supporting the council in improving public participation in planning and decision making processes.
- Support Solwezi Municipal Council (and eventually other councils in the region) in implementing the Integrated Development Plan, including effective monitoring and evaluation.
- Support Solwezi Municipal Council (and eventually other councils in the region) in establishing a fiscal cadastre to enhance revenue collection.
- Advise Solwezi Municipal Council (and eventually other councils in the region) on effective mechanisms for public participation and strengthening the relationship between citizens and councils.
You offer the following qualifications
- Master degree in urban or regional planning, urban management, local government administration, economics, social studies, geography or related fields;
- At least two years of working experience in the field of urban and regional planning and/or local government administration;
- Business fluent knowledge of English;
- Working experience in integrated development planning an advantage;
- Working experience in participatory planning an advantage;
- Working experience in sub-Saharan Africa an advantage.
You offer the following competencies
- Proven ability in mentoring and sharing skills
- Ability to work with partners in the public secto;r and in a team spirit;
- Ability to function as facilitator and mediator;
- Good presentation and moderation skills.
24 months (plus preparation)
Conditions regarding location
Solwezi is located in the North-Western Province of Zambia, close to the border with DR Congo. The region is known for its richness in terms of mineral resources, mainly copper. Its climate is tropical, with temperatures going from 5 to 35 degrees Celsius. It is well connected through its airport, but about 8 hours’ drive from Lusaka, the capital city of Zambia. Newly built shopping malls provide most everyday needs. Medical support is quite basic.
We offer you the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. Your contract period is at least 24 months with the option of extension.
Information on the service package
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. If you should not be able to post an application via the system, you are welcome to contact the person indicated at the end of the job description.
Please check after your application regularly the spam and junk mail folder of your mail account, since the e-mails of the recruiting system are categorized as spam by some providers.
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 15.06.2017.