SHORT-TERM CONSULTANCY FEASIBILITY STUDY PHILLIPINES
Terms of Reference
The German Doctors e. V. (GD) is a charitable, non-profit organization with legal capacity registered in Bonn/Germany focusing on the provision of medical services for the poor and underprivileged people in regions with only limited access to medical treatment. The GD has been working in the Philippines and cooperating with various partners to implement projects in medical care, primary healthcare, rights-based approaches, Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), and related areas since 1983. A Philippine partner of the GD is the Initiative for Dialogue and Empowerment through Alternative Legal Services (IDEALS Inc.). IDEALS is a Philippine-based, non-government organization registered at the Philippine Securities and Exchange Commission. The organization has specialized in legal and rights-based empowerment of vulnerable and marginalized groups in the Philippines, particularly agrarian-reform beneficiaries, farmer-traders, persons and communities affected by disasters, indigenous people, and victims of human rights violations since 2005. IDEALS has four key programs:
- Human Rights, which promotes human rights and access to justice in communities vulnerable to Human Rights Violations;
- Economic Rights, which seeks to establish an enabling environment for sustainable finance and fair, equitable business practices in the Philippines;
- Rights in Crisis and Disasters, which offers humanitarian aid, information, and access to legal documents to victims of natural disasters and conflict; and
- Development Consulting, which provides legal expertise as consultants for policy or research activities.
The GD and IDEALS applied for co-funding from the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to implement the rights-based project “Increasing access to Birth Registration for Indigenous and Geographically Disadvantaged Communities”. The four-year project aims to increase access to legal identity for indigenous people (IP) and residents of Geographically Isolated and Disadvantaged Areas (GIDA) on the island of Mindoro (Oriental and Occidental Mindoro) and in Mindanao (Provinces of Bukidnon [Kitaotao and Quezon), Davao [Marilog District], and North Cotabato [Arakan]) by providing them with legal documents needed to access social services from the government. The project was conceptualized to combat the low birth registration rate among underprivileged IPs and GIDA residents living in isolated communities, which prevents these groups from receiving government benefits that require a birth certificate. The following outcomes are associated with the planned activities:
- The project enables better access to legal identity, healthcare, and education for members of the indigenous communities and residents of GIDA on the island of Mindoro and in Mindanao.
- The project aims to increase the proportion of indigenous people and residents of geographically isolated and disadvantaged areas with a birth certificate.
- The project aims to increase knowledge about birth registration benefits and access to government benefits in the target areas of Oriental Mindoro, Occidental Mindoro, and the Provinces Bukidnon, North Cotabato and Marilog District.
The main project components consist of mobile civil registration, processing of applications for social services, capacity building and awareness rising of IPs and community volunteers, policy advocacy, and strengthening of the referral system. A strong, nationwide partnership with different stakeholders, like government officials, is the basis of the project activities.
The GD is seeking to engage a consultant/consultant team to carry out a feasibility study of the planned project.
2. Purpose of the Study / Main Duties
German Doctors e. V. and IDEALs Inc. seek to implement a project in the field of human rights to be co-funded by the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) after a feasibility study has been conducted to assess the feasibility of the project and to systematically examine the extent to which the project approach can achieve the set goals.
More specifically, the following deliverables are associated with the feasibility study:
- The study serves as a basis for the further development of the project concept, describes the context of the planned project at all relevant levels, and includes essential data on the initial situation.
- The study identifies to what extent the planned project approach is appropriate to achieve the project objectives, taking into account the evaluation criteria by the Development Assistance Committee (DAC).
- Concrete recommendations are given for adjustments to the specific project concept, including the impact matrix and measures.
- Risks that could affect project objectives and possible risk mitigation strategies have been identified.