Hoffnungszeichen | Sign of Hope e.V. (SoH) is a Christian NGO for human rights, humanitarian assistance and development cooperation. Headquartered in Constance, Germany, SoH is committed to help oppressed and exploited people worldwide.
For our Humanitarian Assistance Department, we are recruiting the following field position:
Project Coordinator Ukraine (m/f/d)
Duty Station : Uzhhorod, Ukraine
Time period: 12 months (extension possible)
Starting Date: 01.01.2023
SoH supports different local partner organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in Eastern regions of Ukraine to people affected by the war, as well as to refugees in Slovakia and Moldova. Currently the program covers sectors as shelter, multi-purpose cash assistance, food security and psycho-social support. Additionally, we support the local partners in strengthening their administrative and financial processes in line with international donor regulations.
Position in the organisation
The Project Manager will ensure the qualitative implementation of the on-going humanitarian assistance project. To achieve this, the Project Manager will need to build good and trustful working relationships with the implementing local partner organisations. The Project Manager will report to the Country Director based in Uzhhorod in day to day management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Project management and implementation of SoH’s response in the context of the Ukraine crisis, incl. regular monitoring, project controlling, financial management and reporting according to SoH and German Federal Foreign Office requirements
- Checking and approving expenses related to the project and budget under her/his responsibility
- Build and maintain strong working relations with SoH’s local partners in Ukraine, Moldova and Slovakia
- Support the capacity building of the local partner organisations in relevant fields
- Promote integration of cross cutting topics such as inclusion, gender and conflict sensitivity into all activities
- Support the SoH programme development in Ukraine with analyses of partner relations and advise the Country Director on possible adjustments or new opportunities for cooperation
- Further develop and strengthen the Country Office MEAL framework in line with SoH and donor requirements, ensuring accountability to donors and beneficiaries, coordinate accurate data collection with partners
- Attend coordination meetings at local and national level
- Assist the partners in implementing visibility measures according to SoH’s and donor guidelines
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in management, international development or related fields
- Minimum 5 years in project and grants management in the international NGO context (experience in cash assistance and PSS is an asset)
- Strong understanding of institutional donor regulations (especially GFFO) and project implementation in the emergency/development sector, knowing Ukrainian context is a strong asset
- Good organisational, managerial, planning, reporting skills
- Sound understanding of the project management cycle, establishing objectives and indicators (SMART);
- Understanding of different components of MEAL and skills in implementing MEAL systems
- Familiarity with the humanitarian system and experience in liaison and coordination with key stakeholders (implementing partners, UNHCR, Clusters, Working Groups)
- Political and cultural sensitivity with qualities of patience, tactic and diplomacy
- Both independent and integrative way of working and strong ability to work in a team
- Ability to work under pressure, willingness to learn and flexibility
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English (knowledge of Ukrainian / Russian is an asset)
- Applicant must be eligible to work within Europe/Ukraine
- Exciting job in a growing, purpose-driven organisation
- Opportunities for creativity and development
- A position with responsibilities
- Competitive NGO salary
- Flexible working time
- 30 days of holiday per year
- Travel health insurance / housing allowance
How to apply
Send your CV (incl. 3 references) and cover letter stating your experience relevant to this position through our firstname.lastname@example.org. Include ‘Project Coordinator Ukraine’ in the subject line. The applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so early applications are highly encouraged.
Please note, we are not able to process work permits for applicants outside of Europe.
Sign of Hope is an equal opportunities employer, so applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction of any kind.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.